This project for Design and Creation of Games II was a complete culmination of everything we had learned up to this point in all our classes while teaching some more intermediate skills for Unity's C# language. Our overarching goal for the exercise was implementing an entire player loop for multiple players within the game while also adhering to the myriad of features that were well established within the Monopoly series except for trading. While keeping within the boundaries of those guidelines we were also responsible for implementing the aesthetic for the project (Layout of the UI, Art for the UI, Audio queues and Music, etc.)
For my version of the game, I focused on make the game as vibrant and readable as possible for the players. To ensure this goal was maintained, I allowed for the player to have a designated color but be able to freely choose a token and pattern to accompany it. While in hindsight I went a bit overboard on the coloring for the player pieces, I was able to accomplish the original goal of ensuring the board was readable with the numerous property purchases that would happen. This also came through in the board view addition, which in instead of just restricting the players view to the section of the board they could freely get a bird’s eye view of the entire board if they wanted.
Toward the end of the project everything was dropping into place well but there was still this lingering issue of providing the player with a simple and easy way to get all the information about their properties. Additionally, I wanted to give the players the ability to see the other players owned properties and information more easily too. To accomplish this, I decided to implement an information hub that any player could access at any time from the left of the screen. This would allow for everyone to see the information of each player much more easily while also allowing the current active player to manage their properties more easily.
Overall, I felt that this project was a success in the areas that we were tasked with working on. It allowed for us to condense everything we had learned into one project and focus on more designer-oriented choices while also allowing for us to work as an engineer on the functionality of the game.
If you would like to play the game, you can follow the Itch.io link below to play an embedded version of the game. ​​​​​​
** Volume Warning! This project was also built out for 2048 x 1536. If you have issues seeing everything, try scaling your browser window down (Zoom Out). **
Back to Top